HCI Summer/Winter Schools
The SIGCHI Executive Committee provides access to a "SIGCHI Development Fund" as a benefit to all our members. This page describes a new special funding initiative under this "SIGCHI Development Fund" for the sponsorship (partial) of Winter and Summer Schools in HCI with a deadline for application of December 1st, 2016. SIGCHI members can apply for upto $12,000 (USD) (as outlined below). This dedicated call supports our mission in HCI education beyond our regular workshops, conferences and meetings.
A summer or winter school is a program of lectures, classes, tutorials, hands on technology sessions, exercises or group work organised by a group of SIGCHI members for the benefit of SIGCHI student members. Schools should be organised for the benefit of SIGCHI student members and should not be designed to make a profit for the organisers. There are many examples of such “HCI Summer Schools” documented online. Applications are particularly encouraged on emerging topics in HCI, developing regions or topics which span across areas of interest in our family of sponsored and co-sponsored conferences.
The applicant or applicants to this SIGCHI special funding initiative need to be SIGCHI members, prior to application. Students who are selected to attend (and be provided a fee waiver) must be SIGCHI members prior to the event itself. This funding is targeted at SIGCHI members.
HCI Summer of Winter schools can happen at any time in the 2017 calendar year, exceptions to this need to be approved by the SIGCHI President.
Proposals will be reviewed by a combination of external experts, familiar with the organisation of such schools, and the SIGCHI Executive Committee.
An application to this special funding initiative is subject to the absolute criteria of the SIGCHI Development Fund. Additional criteria include, experience of the organisers, other sponsorship and the impact of the school. It is important to note that an application for SIGCHI sponsorship should not be intended to fund the entirety of the costs associated with a winter or summer school.
As with regular SIGCHI development funding requests there is no application form, instead we suggest a proposal for sponsorship should be limited to 3 A4 pages and should include:
Proposal for a SIGCHI Sponsored Winter/Summer School
- Name and email address of organisers
- Title of summer school
- Relationship to any SIGCHI sponsored or co-sponsored conferences
- Outline (upto 5000 characters): including the purpose, areas of research, reason for event, proposed speakers, how will it be advertised, where will participants attend from
- Location and dates of Summer School
- Event Schedule: Lectures, hands on technology sessions, exercises, group work, welcome dinner etc.
- Number of delegates (in total) and number to be supported by SIGCHI.
(An organiser can charge non-SIGCHI supported students upto $750 for a week long residential summer school and $500 for non-residential summer school)
- Total budget (to support 16 residential or 24 nonresidential participants upto $12,000).
(Awarded funds can be used to cover travel costs for speakers, catering (eg. lunches and welcome dinners etc), accommodation for residential participants (subject to ACM approval))
- Other sponsorship or support already agreed inc. space, data, funds, hardware etc.
- Further details to support proposal (upto 2000 characters): inc existing experience running a summer school, evidence of need for this summer school, commitment from speakers to participate.
- How will your event be announced to the global SIGCHI community so student members from anywhere can attend to apply?
Deadline for SIGCHI members to apply
December 1st, 2016
Subject: SIGCHI HCI Summer/Winter Schools
SIGCHI members can apply for upto $12,000 but your proposal should include the total costs and income from registrations and other sponsorship see an example of this below:
Budget example (yours should be based on real quotes)
|Local University Sponsor
|Local Industry Sponsor||
|Gift from Alumni||
|SIGCHI sponsorship for 16 SIGCHI residential students||
|Fees from 16 non-SIGCHI residential students||$12,000|
|Daily Tea/Coffee/Lunch Catering
Welcome Dinner for 40 people
|Accommodation for 32 students
Accommodation for 8 guest speakers
|Travel for 8 guest speakers
Those who are awarded a SIGCHI Development Fund award under this special funding initiative will be provided a contact to our Program Coordinator within the ACM who can assist with processing claims and reimbursements.
It is important to note that all financial claims are guided by our SIGCHI Volunteer Reimbursement Policy and ACM policies on what can be claimed and how.
Last Updated: Oct 1st, 2016.